Tuesday, September 22, 2015

Two Things... and another thing.

The Toronto Outdoor Art Exhibition was a great success. I think I got my groove back. I ran into folks I hadn't seen in ages and have missed. 
I met some fabulous art collectors, artists and designers. 

I got to sit in the hot sun helping me to achieve my goal of being as dark as humanly possible without cracking and burning. Good times!! And then the rain poured and the wind blew for about an hour. The crowd scatter, then left. And new people came back who started to buy my work. I felt kind of blessed. 





The work of art most commented on, was this piece. So I'm sharing it with those who weren't able to visit my booth. It's still available. It's framed in a black, wooden frame with an off-white matt.
A Study of Dream - $400. Prints available online.
One woman I spoke to told me that she just wanted to hug it. She told me that he had been quite an activist until she realized that I was making her angry and sad all the time. So she pulled back and had a son who she now wants to become an activist. I think that's a form of activism. And a pretty intense one at that! Go on, Lady!!


Let's Save the World Cover - $400

Some of the crowd was a bit confused. They wanted to know who Fandala was. Fandala is the name of the character in the graphic novel I'm writing called, "Let's Save the World." She shares her frustrations and fears with her while they cook, bake, make ginger tea. People loved the idea. They shared stories with me about their grandmothers. They told me stories about being one. And then one beautiful lady who really loved this piece, had be listen to her granddaughter read some of the dialogue in a strong West Indian accent. It was a lot of fun!

This particular Granny, said that she completely agreed with the statement. "I didn't realize this until much later in life," she said. I breathed in the compliment. I love hearing things like that. It's why I do this.
Listen to Your Heart-$400, can be shipped within Canada for $30 and Internationally for $80. Click here for more info.

I am selling the pages of this work in progress as they are completed. It's a great investment. Once the book is published, owning the original artwork used to create the page you love makes complete fiscal sense. And.... it's really cool.

These funds will help me to take an extended writing retreat so that I can complete the work this year. To take time off from my full time job to work on my art.

Ah, yes. Dreams are part of my food group. An essential part of my diet and I am achieving so many of them. So much so that I'm sharing this tip with you...


There are two things every serious aspirant needs regardless of gender, race, culture etc., etc., etc. If you incorporate these two things into your life, you will prosper with more joy than usual. You will laugh out loud more. And it costs nothing.

Thing Number One
a theme song

Thing Number Two
a goal

If you combine the two effectively, you will discover a mission or two along the way and follow those. Once you have reached your goal. You start again. I cheat a bit. I cheat a bit at a lot of things. Why waste time, right?

I didn't cheat on tests at school. I was actually intelligent enough to earn high marks without cheating. The people who surprised me the most, though. Were the ones who would have achieved high marks had they studied, like I had, but instead used the same amount of time, to write the answers on their leg just above the hem of their kilt, or on their arm (covered by the long sleeved shirt the uniform required).

I found it lazy. I didn't remain friends with any of those pals. I thought they lacked integrity. I wasn't always right.

But when combining my goal and theme song, I cheat a bit. I have three theme songs. One song just breaks your heart to listen to. This year I chose, "I'm Ready," the 11th track on the

New Beginning (Tracy Chapman album). But I realized that it wouldn't work in all situations, so I searched for a long time for another. I have one for the funk, one for my soul and one stomping around song. They are a secret. It's important to keep secrets.

What is yours? Don't tell me. But you should know.

What are you aiming for this Fall? (In secret. Keep it a secret to everyone).

And then when you have that thing? What's next?
Keep going until forever.
It's what makes people attractive.
Sometimes, it's what makes people nuts.

"If one is to succeed in anything, the success must come gently, with a great deal of effort but with no stress or obsession."


UPCOMING SHOW AND SALE

NTGA 2015 Fall Fine Arts Show and Sale

Thursday November 12 from 6-9 pm
Friday November 13 from 12-8 pm
Saturday November 14 from 10 am- 3:30 pm
24 Cheritan Avenue
(South of Lawrence, west side of Yonge Street)
At Blessed Sacrament Church
Be there or be square.

Go 4th and Prosper!!


416 432 9947


No comments:

Post a Comment