Wednesday, October 1, 2014

Currently on Exhibit | A Tribute to Ella & Stevie | Rainbow Cinemas Market Square | October 2014 | Toronto


I was listening to the CBC yesterday and heard snip-pits of this song. Thank Goodness for the Internet. I found two versions to share with you. You know what this means, right? Many of us will have to learn this version to sing while in the shower or cycling through traffic!



I look forward to painting a series of Aretha Franklin portraits. She's one of my very favourites. This version is so soulful. I picture it being sung on a porch in the deep, depressed South. It didn't resonate that way when Adele sang it. It is Gospel and Soul with Rock n' Roll undertones.

My pal P isn't supportive of my love for Aretha as an artist. He's judging her by her albums in the 80s. He stylings in the sixties are what I gravitate to.

Stevie Wonder is my other favourite singer from that time. And Ella Fitzgerald just has a flawless voice. These two artists will be remembered for all history and it is my honour to be able to paint their portraits.

A Tribute to Ella and Stevie | Rainbow Cinemas | Toronto
A Tribute to Ella and Stevie is now on exhibit in the lobby of Rainbow Cinemas Market Square in St. Lawrence Market, Toronto. The exhibition will hang for the entire month of October, 2014. The curators, Art For All Canada will be posting a promotional video YouTube. I look forward to sharing that with you later.

Perhaps it's time to treat yourself to a matinee and a day off. Rainbow Theatres always has a great selection. The film that most intrigues me is A Walk Among the Tombstones. It stars, Mr. Liam Neeson. He is one of my favourites.

I remember in my twenties one of my older friends told me that he was the most attractive actor in Hollywood. I disagreed.

"He's so rugged looking," I said.

She turned to the older guests, back to me and said, "When you're older, you'll understand." I always hated hearing that, but most of the time whoever said it was right.

Now, I see every Liam Neeson film that I hear about. He holds my attention for an entire film for many reasons. Smile.


These acrylic on canvas paintings are:

Cool Stevie | 11"x14" | $230

Into The Light | 14"x18" | $380

Lady of Song | 16"x20" | $480
Harmonica Stevie | 8"x10" | $120
Boogie On | 8"x10" | $120

Go Ella | 16"x20" | $480
Soulful Ella | 20"x16" | $480

A Tribute to Ella & Stevie | October 2014 | Toronto

Rainbow Cinemas Market Square
80 Front Street E. at JarvisToronto, ON M5E 1T4Movie Info: (416) 494-9371Office: (416) 214-7006


As my favourite Shamanic author suggests, 'May you walk in joy!'


Simone




No comments:

Post a Comment