Saturday, May 31, 2014

The Geek in Me


Magnolia - Soulangeana - Lenne | 8"x10" | $120



I had little interest in books as a child. I did like to read poetry, Rudyard Kipling
and Wordsworth. Later in life, I discovered Maya Angelou who sadly left us recently. Two weeks ago I completed her most recent autobiography A Song Flung Up from Heaven.
 
I hadn't realized that among things, Martin Luther King invited her to protest at his side and just before she was able to do her part, he was killed. She was an extraordinary woman to say the least. I recommend reading her story in those pages.

Okay, I was and still am a geek. I admit it proudly. Geeks are important. Geeks invent things, teach, revolutionize and contribute to society with great intensity. Geeks master things to such an extent that they often abandon socializing.

A pal of mine, gently reminded me that I should socialize more, but I am loving my time in my cave. I’ve got my art supplies, my music and a plethora of ideas I look forward to sharing with you soon.

What makes really geeky now is that I have no television so for entertainment, I read fiction, non-fiction and listen to audio books. I realize the impact television has on our culture. I barely know what anyone is talking about. So much is shared through commercials. People refer to others as characters from tv programs. I don’t have Netflix either so I’m really living in Simoneville.

One book I read which I found really entertaining is, A Walk Across the Sun­.

A Walk Across the Sun is about human trafficking and organized crime. I picked it up because I loved the title and the beautifully designed cover. I expected it to paint life in South Asia in a poetic light. It did that, while also revealing some of the uglier realities and one consequence of the tsunami. If you’re looking for a light read, this isn’t the book for you. I haven’t been reading many ‘light’ books these days, and am still in search of a book that takes me out of the realities of the wars happening now and that inspires me to, as Ben Okri writes, “Keep dreaming the world with more light.”

­
Aleph, by Paolo Coelho takes the reader along on his spiritual journey.
 
Unlike The Alchemist, my favourite book by Coelho, I didn’t leave it feeling like I had learned any great spiritual lesson. The first few pages are filled with great quotable sentences that inspire me. I’d write one here, but I’ve already returned it to the library. I think the greatest lesson is one for those in long-term relationships who are being pursued by someone they could love. There is much about being faithful in marriage. For me the die-hard monogomist, I loved that part. It is an inspiring book for those in the creative field.

I’m still working on getting, No More Kissing Frogs published. That’s the book I’ve written about online dating. I found an editor and am considering simply publishing it online. But I love book design, paper, turning pages while I read, so we’ll see which path I take. I’ll probably take both. For anyone in publishing would like to read it. I’m open to that.

I’ve already begun the sequel, Who Will Ride an Elephant With Me. The title comes from a talk I had with my pal, MP. We were talking about relationships. He asked me who I was looking for and I said that I wanted someone really special. I picture myself dressed in Egyptian cotton opening the door to my villa. Walking out on the veranda with glass of something delicious and being followed by a man similarly dressed. I want company on my trip to Antarctica and my safari in Africa. And as I told my nephews one day while we were watching Dora the Explorer, I want to ride an elephant. I asked them if they’d join me. They both said no, to my surprise. I told MP, I want to be with a man who will ride an elephant with me. He told me that was really specific and that I should be more flexible.

Ladies, let me tell ya, this is a perfect pick up line. I’ve used it three times. So far, one man said he had ridden a camel, another had ridden an elephant several times and the third smiled broadly and said that he would absolutely join me.

Lily - Lilium - Casa Blanca | 8"x10" | $120

So now it’s officially Spring. Even though the weather says that it will snow next week. Kidding!! I think we’re in the clear. I’ve planted my garden. We’ll which seeds become flowers. I’m looking forward to a wonderful warm season filled with great love, great times and great art!

Here's a verse by Maya Angelou. May she rest in peace!

Tumbling Ted - Saponaria Ecymendes | 8"x10" | $120

Phenomenal Woman

By Maya Angelou
Pretty women wonder where my secret lies.
I’m not cute or built to suit a fashion model’s size   
But when I start to tell them,
They think I’m telling lies.
I say,
It’s in the reach of my arms,
The span of my hips,   
The stride of my step,   
The curl of my lips.   
I’m a woman
Phenomenally.
Phenomenal woman,   
That’s me.

I walk into a room
Just as cool as you please,   
And to a man,
The fellows stand or
Fall down on their knees.   
Then they swarm around me,
A hive of honey bees.   
I say,
It’s the fire in my eyes,   
And the flash of my teeth,   
The swing in my waist,   
And the joy in my feet.   
I’m a woman
Phenomenally.

Phenomenal woman,
That’s me.

Men themselves have wondered   
What they see in me.
They try so much
But they can’t touch
My inner mystery.
When I try to show them,   
They say they still can’t see.   
I say,
It’s in the arch of my back,   
The sun of my smile,
The ride of my breasts,
The grace of my style.
I’m a woman
Phenomenally.
Phenomenal woman,
That’s me.

Now you understand
Just why my head’s not bowed.   
I don’t shout or jump about
Or have to talk real loud.   
When you see me passing,
It ought to make you proud.
I say,
It’s in the click of my heels,   
The bend of my hair,   
the palm of my hand,   
The need for my care.   
’Cause I’m a woman
Phenomenally.
Phenomenal woman,
That’s me.



Keep well,

Simone

Current exhibitions


No comments:

Post a Comment